I loved the idea for the story I worked on for the July/August 7x7 magazine feature titled "Ground Swell" by Stacy Adimando. It's about five different restaurants who have brought ingredients from other countries and started to grow them in the Bay Area. Working with prop stylist James Whitney we sourced most of our props from Carol Hacker's prop rental studio. Since we were shooting on-location at all five restaurants I wanted to make sure we had consistency with the lighting while also having a soft, attractive shadow for everything by using the same large softbox.
Here are the ingredients in order of appearance and the restaurants/chefs we worked with:
- Lollipop Kale from Britain at 1760, Chef Adam Tortosa
- Espelette Pepper from Basque at Rich Table, Chef Evan Rich
- Sweet Woodruff from North Africa/West Asia at The Square, Chefs Matt McNamara and Teague Moriarty
- Ice Lettuce from Europe at SPQR, Chef Matt Accarrino
- Myrtle Leaf (not pictured) from Sardinia at Camino, Chef Russell Moore